Report of the May 1972 Meeting - Macoupin County Historical Society
at the Holy Dormition parish church in Benld, Illinois
Orthodox Church at Benld
The Macoupin County Historical Society held its May meeting at St. Mary's Orthodox Church, Benld. At the short business session the Society was presented an 1811 Macoupin County Atlas donated by Joe Rizzle of Benld.
President John Madden introduced Father Michael Coleman, pastor of St Mary's who gave a brief resume of the Orthodox church in this country. It was the religion of immigrants, chiefly from Eastern Europe, and was the main link with their past. It is a religion of tradition and is probably the only church which has remained exactly the same throughout its almost 2000 year existence.
Walter Chulick, president of the congregation, presented the history of St. Mary's, the only Orthodox church in the area. In 1902, one Andrew Sosenko left a mining community on the Monongahela River and headed west in search of better working and living conditions. En route, he learned of a new coal field which had just opened up in Illinois. Deciding to investigate, he came to Benld, a tiny village of just eight houses. Within two days he was employed in a position of some Importance at Mine 1. He was so impressed he immediately wrote to friends back east, urging them to come to Benld. Within a short time, fourteen friends, including Mr. Chulick's father, arrived. Each man also wrote friends, and soon a goodly number of these people were living in Benld and contributing to its growth.
In March 1907, eleven of the men met and decided to build a church and meeting place. Two weeks later a second meeting was held with thirty-one attending. By the following week, $1600 had been pledged and plans drawn up. A wooden structure was built, just a short distance from the present building. In 1909 a parochial school was started for elementary age children. Pupils attended three days a week, after public school hours, half days on Saturday and half days from mid-June through mid-August.
The church received special attention from Czar Nicholas and was given gifts of draperies, banners and standards, a jeweled Bible and sets of theology books. On October 15, 1915 the church was completely destroyed by fire (1). The same day, plans were made to rebuild. The membership hired an architect from Edwardsville to design a brick building (a grandson of that architect is today engaged in some remodeling work), a site was chosen and work begun. St. Mary's was designated a mission church by Diocese Central Committee in Moscow and received some financial help from 1916-1921. After the Revolution the church was damaged by vandals probably due to an anti-Red feeling, even though the members were dedicated American citizens.
St. Mary's has always been active in community affairs and works closely with other churches and groups in civic projects. Chulick said the membership is dwindling, but the congregation is confident that their church will continue to maintain its position. This is the 65th anniversary year and four special events were noted: on February 15 the Bishop from New York ordained Deacon Alexis; on August 13 the annual picnic will be held; October 6-7-8 a bazaar; and November 4 the 63rd annual dinner.
After Mr. Chulick's talk, Father Coleman explained the church decor, mentioning the restoration work being done to preserve the priceless icons, and touched briefly upon some of the customs observed. Upon request, he closed the meeting with a traditional Orthodox litany.
The audience enjoyed nut roll, poppy-seed roll and coffee, prepared by the ladies of the parish.
The next meeting of the Society will be held June 7 at 8 p.m. at St. Paul's United Church of Christ, Carlinville. The informal program will be one of looking backward, including slides of the '71 Arts and Crafts Fair, and looking forward to the coming year.
Members are again reminded of their dues.
Notes
- Note that the date quoted by the reporter in this article for the church fire is different from what appeared in the 1957 Golden Jubilee publication by the Holy Dormition parish. In that publication, the date of the church fire was listed as July 20, 1915.
- The above newspaper report originally appeared in the Virden IL Recorder.
Clicking on the small image below will open a large photo of the original article in a new tab.